PPT On Biophotonics
Biophotonics Presentation Transcript:1. INTRODUCTION
The term biophotonics denotes a combination of biology and photonics with photonics being the science and technology of generation, manipulation, and detection of photons, quantum units of light. Photonics is related to electronics in that it is believed that photons will play a similar central role in future information technology as electrons do today.
Photonics is the technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. Biophotonics applies photonics to the fields of medicine, biology and biotechnology.
3. Light Sources for Biophotonics
Most dominantly used light source are lasers. LED´s, Lamps play an important role. Typical wavelengths, which are used in biophotonics are between 200 nm (UV) and 3000 nm (near IR).
4. Electrons and Photon
An electron is a subatomic particle. Carrying a negative charge an electron orbits an atom’s nucleus and is bound to it by electromagnetic forces. An electron has a mass that is minuscule in comparison with even the smallest of atoms, coming in at about one thousandth the size of the tiniest atom. The electron is a basic unit of nature, meaning it cannot be broken down into smaller units.
5. Einstein proposed that light is made up of packets of energy called photons. Photons have no mass, but they have momentum and they have an energy given by…..
6. Silicon-Photonic Circuit
Light is confined to the silicon material by a top and bottom cladding of silicon dioxide. The high index contrast between silicon at 3.47 and silicon dioxide at 1.6, does not allow light, at 1550 nm, to extend into the oxide beyond a tenth or so of a micron. A rib structure on the top surface of a silicon chip guides the optical power in the plane of the silicon.
7. SILICON ELECTRONIC DEVICE
A great advantage of silicon photonics is its electronic properties, adding the potential of optoelectronic and electrooptic interactions of photons and electrons. This makes possible electrical excitation and manipulation of light as well as optical conversion to electrical signals and even light control of light.
8. VARIABLE OPTICAL ATTENUATOR
Attenuation in the VOA is realized by the free-carrier absorption mechanism. Free-carriers in this case, comprise a “gas” of electrons and holes in the conduction and valence bands of the matrix of silicon ions.
9. Laser – provides powerful, controllable photons to manipulate, alter and probe bio samples Fiber optics – Control the path of light to bring it anywhere Microscope – Let’s us see living things at a very small scale Eye – The foremost Biophotonics tool CCD – Gathers light and therefore information Spectrophotometer – Gives specific energy and intensity information
10. For more please refer our PPT. Thanks.